The main objective of LIGNOBIOLIFE is to demonstrate the technical and economic feasibility of developing a plant capable of generating high value-added bioproducts. Among the advantages of these products stand out its organic origin, the low carbon-footprint and its high demand that makes them very profitable. Our previous studies have contributed to reach the level of knowledge and experience for their industrial development.
- Promote a new model of the use of forest waste that will encourage the economic development in rural areas, closing the wastes life cycle by turning them into bio-products.
- Demonstrate the ability to generate biochar efficiently on industrial scale from lignocellulosic residues by microwave pyrolysis.
- Demonstrate the ability to obtain bio-asphalt with industrial characteristics from thermal pyrolysis by microwave radiation.
- Demonstrate the ability to obtain wood vinegar, on an industrial scale, as an herbicide from the pyrolysis of lignocellulosic wastes.
- Demonstrate the agronomic characteristics of biochar. It will be tested in cereal and olive fields in collaboration with farmers from Spain and Portugal.
- Demonstrate the feasibility of using wood vinegar as a substitute for chemical herbicides. Tests will be carried out in olive and vine plots of farmers in Spain and Portugal, as well as, in urban areas of the two countries.
- Demonstrate the environmental, structural and economic viability of the use of bioasphalt.
- Develop the environmental, energy, water and carbon footprint of the entire process.
- Develop a study for the installation of three bio-refineries, one in Spain and two in Portugal. A market research for each bioproduct will be carried out, as well as a business scheme linked to the industrial exploitation of the products.
- Develop diffusion work about bioproducts and their improved behavior regarding the carbon and water footprint.
- Disseminate the technological solution to entities and organizations that are able to replicate it.
- Plan the replication and transfer to other European regions with similar climate (Mediterranean climate).